Saturday, November 6, 2010

Robot Boy

Hey guys,
I thought I would jump on the process train and show you some of the steps for my Robot Boy piece.
To save me struggling to write something clever, here's a quote from the amazing John Foster (an illustrator with exquisite skill):


"Early in my career, I was under the impression that I should be able to sit down and create a beautiful piece of art from start to finish with no preparation…I thought all great artists did it that way... the truth was that I did not realize the blood, sweat and tears that my favorite artists were putting into their work."

Great to hear from someone you look up to. And it's true. Even on 'Robot Boy' which is a relatively simple piece, you can see how much searching was involved to get to the final piece. And this isn't even all of it! Sheesh!

Click the second image to see meandering animated steps of the final piece.


Click this pic to see step by step process for the final image.

4 comments:

  1. So you got your animated gif working without breaking the website. Oh, and it's a better drawing than mine. Well done.
    It's not a competition Matthew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats awesome man, thanks for sharing! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sweating and tearing just looking at that! Nice tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do know that preparation is cheating!

    ReplyDelete